DAVIS A. PALMER, of Blacklick, Indiana county, is senior member of the firm of D. A. Palmer & Son, furniture dealers and undertakers, who are the leading merchants in their line in that section. He is a business man of the highest standing and a citizen who commands the respect of the entire community, in whose welfare he has shown a commendable interest. Mr. Palmer is a native of West Wheatfield township, this county, born March 15. 1859. His father, Johnston Palmer, was a son of David Palmer and grandson of Henry Palmer, mention of whom is found elsewhere in this work.
Johnston Palmer was born Sept. 11, 1818, in Burrell township, Indiana county, where he followed farming, owning a tract of 129 acres which he cultivated and greatly improved. He spent several years in Jefferson county, Pa., but resided upon the place above mentioned until his death, which occurred April 9, 1896; he is buried in Blairsville cemetery. Mr. Palmer was a prominent man in his township, where he was chosen to fill various important offices, serving ably as tax collector, school director and constable; he held the latter office for twenty-eight years. In politics he was a Republican, in religion a member of the M. E. Church, and he was active in that connection also, serving as class leader and taking part in all church work. In West Wheatfield township he married Jane Palmer, who was born Aug. 26, 1820, daughter of Charles Palmer, and she preceded him to the grave, dying Jan. 21, 1885; she, too, is buried in Blairsville cemetery. Thirteen children were born to this union, viz.: Sarah Jane, born Oct. 8, 1843; Charles W., Dee. 30, 1844; (Rev.) Cyrus 0., Oct. 1, 1846; Clara, June 16, 1848; (Dr.) J. W., June 18, 1849; Lyman D., Aug. 26, 1851; Eveline, Oct. 16, 1853 (died in infancy) Martha E., Nov. 14, 1855 (deceased); Susanna Elizabeth, March 11, 1857 (wife of Thomas Mabon, of New Florence, Pa.) ; Davis A., March 15, 1859; Mary A., March 28, 1861; and Jessie J. and Anna Margaret, twins, Dec. 18, 1862. Jessie J. Palmer is proprietor of the Commercial Printing Company, of Black lick, Pennsylvania.
Davis A. Palmer grew to manhood on the home farm in Burrell township and had the educational privileges afforded by the local public schools. He continued to work with his father on the homestead place until he reached the age of thirty-two, at which time he acquired an interest in the lumber business, forming a partnership with S. A. Kun kie, under the firm name of Palmer & Kunkle. They were engaged in the manufacture of lumber and railroad ties, and much of their product was disposed of directly to the railway companies. In 1904 Mr. Palmer established himself as a merchant in the town of Blacklick, in Burrell township, erecting the fine frame building in which he has since carried on his furniture and undertaking business, which has attained large proportions. Mr. Palmer has taken his son Lyman D. Palmer into partnership with him, under the name of D. A. Palmer & Son, and through their enterprise and progressive methods they have become widely known over a large territory. They have acquired an extensive trade as a result of their personal integrity no less than their thoroughly satisfactory dealings with their customers, showing their appreciation to their patrons, by making their business relations pleasant and mutually agreeable.
Mr. Palmer has interested himself in local affairs, particularly the problem of public education, and he has filled the office of school director of Burrell township for three terms, doing effective work in that capacity. He has been a notary public for the last thirteen years. He is broad-minded and has advanced views on most questions. In polities he is a sincere Socialist, one of the foremost men of that party in this portion of the State, and. fearless m upholding the principles of social ism as taught by the founders of the party. He believes firmly in their ultimate triumph.
Mr. Palmer was married at Homer City, this county, to Margaret Wier,
daughter of Squire D. C. Wier, a well-known trial justice of Homer City.
Their family consists of six children: Lyman D., who is in business with
his father; Clara. who is now the wife of B. L. Foreman, and resides at Dayton,
Pa.; Grace, wife of W. B. Rhodes, of East Pittsburg, Pa.; Terrence V., a
student at the Pennsylvania Business College, of Lancaster, Pa.; Davis, deceased;
and Florence, who is now a student in the high school at Blairsville. The
family belong to the Presbyterian Church.